You’re invited to a special screening of André Rieu’s concert – Home For Christmas – on Wednesday 28 November in the hall. Tea/coffee and mince pies will be served at 9:30am, followed by the DVD at 10am.
Bring your friends and family to enjoy this festive morning. Donations appreciated. Funds raised on the day will go towards the “Clean House” renovations project at HMC.
Questions based on Merle Vollebregt’s Sermon on Angels.
Go through the following verses and discuss your personal “angel” stories” or discuss any change in attitude considering what the bible says about angels.
We receive protection from angels. Matthew 26: 53
Angels provide encouragement Matthew 18:10
Angels provide guidance from God Genesis 18
Angels are mostly God’s messengers. Acts 27:13-26
Agents of Judgement in the O.T. 2 Samuel 24:15,16
Angels have power and strength: Exodus 14
We are higher than the angels: Psalm 8:5
Angels should not replace God: Exodus 20:3-5
Never worship an Angel : Colossians 2:18
Angels sometimes take human form: 2 Chronicles 32:21
Discuss the following general questions regarding faith and the church.
- God is love, all knowing and all powerful – discuss experiences that cement this statement. Are you content to follow Him one day at a time or are you fearful of the future?
- Do you know someone who is “stuck” in their grief, or brokenness, or circumstances? Discuss ways one could help this person move forward. Is there something in your personal life you are struggling to hand over to God? Spend time in twos in prayer over this.
- Discuss how best to encourage congregation members to volunteer their time and gifts for church service. Work done by a few results in burn out and discouragement. How can this be avoided?
- Do you believe God respects everyone? Think of some of the interactions Jesus had with characters in the bible. Did He encourage transformation or did he shun the sinners? Teachers are experiencing aggression and violence. There is a video on Facebook that shows a tattooed teacher being abused by a pupil. One comment implies that anyone looking like that does not deserve respect? Do you agree or disagree? What other prejudices are lurking in you?
- At the end of the service we say the benediction – The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God and the Communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all. Amen” Do we mean it when we say the benediction or has it become a habit? Do you invite the Holy Spirit to be with you when you pray? When you read the bible? What does the Holy Spirit look like? Read 2 Corinthians 3:17, 18. Is the Holy Spirit your constant companion?
“The more I think about the human suffering in our world and my desire
to offer a healing response, the more I realize how crucial it is not
to allow myself to become paralyzed by feelings of impotence and
guilt. More important than ever is to be very faithful to my vocation
to do well the few things I am called to do and hold on to the joy and
peace they bring me. I must resist the temptation to let the forces of
darkness pull me into despair and make me one more of their many
victims. I have to keep my eyes fixed on Jesus and on those who follow
him and trust that I will know how to live out my mission to be a sign
of hope in this world.” #Henri Nouwen HERE AND NOW
This week’s prayers –
- Pray for ministries to the poor and disadvantaged
- Pray for healing, hope and support for those affected by HIV Aids
- Pray for family issues, single parent homes, gogo’s raising children…Pray against the breakdown of the family
- Pray against all violence in South Africa, family violence, violent Crime, violence against women and children
- Pray for strength for our Churches, ministers, pastoral care workers as they reach out into our communities to help and support…