GOD GIVES JOSEPH A DREAM
(Seven Questions HMC study for the week of 17-23rd July 2017)
ICE BREAKER: What does it mean to you when something useful breaks?
FOCUS SCRIPTURE PASSAGE: Genesis: Chapters 37-50 (specific verses will be noted below)
OVERVIEW: Our Duke Student, Johnny Bravo will be sharing on Purpose based on Joseph’s story that begins with a dream in Chapter 37. He will track through Joseph’s story in Genesis. God plants a dream (purpose) in our hearts – will we embrace it and run with it in order to fulfill that purpose?
1. READ: Genesis 37:1-11. This is the story of Joseph’s dreams. What dream has the Lord given you? Have you prayed about it, shared it with others and asked God for wisdom in living out that dream? Share with your group.
2. READ: GENESIS 39:19-23 Joseph is sold by his brothers, and find himself in prison due to the false accusations of Potiphar’s wife. What happens to your dream when you face challenges in life? Do you think God has forgotten you or do you cleave closer to God?
3. What was the quality that Joseph possessed that was a powerful testimony in the face of trials? How do you deal with temptation?
4. READ: GENESIS 41:1-56. Joseph managed his success well. He always depended on the Lord, acknowledging God as the provider of all his needs and the source of the blessings he received. Can you find any parallels in your life that follow this part of Joseph’s story?
5. READ: GENESIS 45:1-15. Joseph displays humility throughout his story. In this passage he forgives deeply. Have there been times when pride and unforgiveness have been a stumbling block for you? How does this passage encourage you to embrace humility and forgiveness?
6. When we hear the word prosperity most often we think of material wealth. However, it is so much more than this. How does your relationship with Christ demonstrate spiritual and relational prosperity?
7. READ: GENESIS 48. In this case, Jacob (Israel) experienced the blessing of being able to bless his grandchildren Ephraim & Manasseh because relationships were restored. What, if any, has been your experience of restored relationships? How has that been a blessing to you and which glorifies our Lord?
GOD GIVES JOSEPH A DREAM
Light a candle as a symbol of Christ’s presence in your midst.
Please pray for our Nation and Community:
Protection of Journalists so that they are able to report with integrity and honesty.
Pray for our Leaders in National, Provincial and Local government.
Pray for the EThekwini Municipality that they govern with integrity to provide services for all of the community – especially in respect of the Gleblands Hostel situation, and the management of protest situations, which in itself highlights deep crisis in our communities.
Pray for the Church, Church Leaders and Members, that we will all consider our response to the many challenges faced by the Church.
Pray aloud together:
Go forth in peace, for you have followed the voice of the Good Shepherd on the good road.
Go forth without fear, for God who created you, has made you holy, has always protected you, and loves you as a Parent.
As we leave to go into the world, we go with confidence, trusting that Christ is walking with us.