Light a candle as a symbol of Christ’s presence in your midst.
1 I lift my eyes to you, O God, enthroned in heaven.
2 We keep looking to the Lord our God for his mercy, just as servants keep their eyes on their master, as a slave girl watches her mistress for the slightest signal.
3 Have mercy on us, Lord, have mercy, for we have had our fill of contempt.
4 We have had more than our fill of the scoffing of the proud and the contempt of the arrogant.
Lord, have mercy on us, for we are sinners. In the Old Testament we often hear the words, “The Israelites did what was evil in the sight of the Lord.” We look at our nation and wonder…
“Where’s the justice, integrity, honesty, compassion, love and generosity…?” It’s easy to become disheartened… BUT we’re called to be people of faith. “Faith leads to prayer and prayer leads to possibility. Possibility leads to action, and action leads to deliverance.” (paraphrase from Disciplines, The Upper Room Devotional 2017)
Therefore, we give thanks to the Lord for areas of action:
- Ministry initiatives that reach out to the underprivileged.
- Medical staff in clinics, hospitals and emergency services – we pray for their protection, strength to endure and resources to provided good medical care to all.
- Educators & Lecturers – especially at this time of exams as they mark papers.
- Honest government officials who dare to speak out against mismanagement, injustice and corruption.
- Organisations that care for our animals, wildlife, flora and fauna.
As we offer our prayers to You, may they encircle You, may our eyes remain fixed on You as we trust you to be God who understands and never lets us go.
Please pray for:
- All learners writing exams.
- For all officials and business leaders to manage their departments and companies with honesty and integrity, to have the self-control to say NO to corruption!
- Drug Lords – especially for the innocent who are hoodwinked into the drug world.
- Parents as they teach their children about moral values, may they be Godly values too.
- The ongoing water crisis in many parts of our nation.
- The justice system and Chapter 9 institutions – to be above the law in all their dealings.
- For all farmers who deal with failed crops due to the drought, labour issues and concern about safety of all who live and work on the farms.
- Poaching of wildlife.
1“But now, O Jacob, listen to the Lord who created you. O Israel, the one who formed you says,
“Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine.
2 When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty,
you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up;
the flames will not consume you.
3 For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour. Amen