PRAYER FOR SOUTH AFRICA AND OUR WORLD: 8 – 14 JANUARY 2018
Light a candle as a symbol of Christ’s presence in your midst.
We have as a church alongside other churches collectively prayed with ONE voice for issues of concern in our country – congregation members have faithfully prayed each week for justice and righteousness to prevail and this has paid off. The turn of events in our country seem to be moving towards a better future; less ridden with crime and corruption. Well done everyone – prayer does pay dividends. Galatians 6:9: ‘Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we DO NOT GIVE UP.” Please do continue to pray for a better future for our country.
Let us continue to put our hope in the Lord: Psalm 42:5 ff: “Why are you downcast, oh my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my saviour and my God.”
Please pray for:
- Effective education. The news abounds with great stories at the moment of excellent matric results and accolades of those with distinction, may we give thanks for this. Let us however also pray for the bottom of the spectrum where some ineffectual teachers and leaders have neglected their duties, resulting in weak results. Please also pray for anyone who might be tempted to commit suicide as a result of failure. As Andrew preached last Sunday – may everyone make wise and thoughtful, insightful decisions for their own lives. May the ruling party make wise decisions for our country?
- Pray for those who carry out hate crimes. Pray for those who feel the need to throw rocks off bridges to harm the innocent. May we all show ‘balance” when circumstances throw us off course. Pray for wisdom for those in authority who are looking into solving this issue.
- Please pray for all those who have been bereaved. The families whose loved ones have tragically died in accidents. Those who have passed on from old age or ill health.
- Please pray for gender parity.
- Pray for fire-fighters, paramedics, nurses, doctors, municipal workers, dustbin collectors, and ministers, ANYONE involved in public service who has given up family time for the greater good.
- There has been a request for unity in prayer for the ongoing drought in the Western Cape. Deuteronomy 11:13-16. 2 Chronicles 7:14. There is a prediction of possible rain today – let’s pray it in!!!
1 Peter 1:3: “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In His great mercy he has given us NEW BIRTH into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.” Thank you Lord that you have been with us through all the changes and different transitions. You are our perfect protector. Help us to keep our bearings when the going gets tough. Give thanks for precious down time, much needed rest/leave time – some of it spent with our wider families. Pray for all those who “face” work today, may their year be blessed.