COVENANT… Called to Truthful Love
(Seven Questions HMC study for the week of 22nd – 28th January 2018)
ICE BREAKER: Think about this – do miracles still happen today? Share your thoughts/experience with the group.
FOCUS SCRIPTURE PASSAGE/S: Mark 1:21-18; Psalm 111, 1 Corinthians 9:16-23
- READ: Psalm 111. The Psalmist implores us to delight in God and to ponder upon the deeds of God. Look at these deeds and the promises. Is this our experience and do we praise God for his deeds and promises?
- The Psalmist refers twice to God’s Covenant with Israel (see v5 and v9). What does this say to us today about our relationship with God and the call to be people of love, truth and wisdom?
- READ: 1 Corinthians 9:16-23. Paul affirms that God has given him sacred trust, and he feels compelled by God to preach the Good News. There’s a strong evangelism emphasis to this passage. In what ways can you be/do you feel called to spread the Good News of Christ?
- Paul inculcates (finds common ground) himself into a community in order to bring them to Christ. How have you experienced something similar in your life? If not, in what ways could you do this without losing sight of your faith and obedience to the truth of God?
- READ: Mark 1:21-28. Jesus teaches with authority in this passage. Authority can be the demeanour of all people, from the highest ranking officer of the law to the lowliest and simplest person for they too can speak with authority if they embody wisdom, integrity and are compelling. What is your experience of authority and how do you exercise authority, especially in light of your faith?
- The unclean spirit knew who Jesus is and the authority that he exuded – immediately discerning the presence of good. Have you had an experience of discernment and how did that play out?
- Conflict between Jesus and the religious leaders is recorded quite a lot in Mark’s Gospel. Mis-understandings are a part of life, so how do we overcome these and walk in truth that expresses love and grace towards others in these kinds of situations?
NOTE: Prayers for SA & the World are posted on the website. Please encourage your group to pray together about these issues and during their personal devotional time in the week.