(Seven Questions HMC study for the week of 19 – 25th February 2018)
ICE BREAKER: Where has been the ‘strangest/oddest’ place that you have shared your faith in Christ? Share that experience with your group.
FOCUS SCRIPTURE PASSAGE/S: Genesis 17:1-7 ; Ps 22:23-31; Romans 4:13-25, Mark 8:31-38
- READ: Genesis 17:1-7. God renames Abram to Abraham, meaning “Father of many”. This is a significant change and reminder to Abraham. What attributes is God calling Abraham to and what does God promise to Abraham?
- READ: Ps 22:22-31. A beautiful praise Psalm. What promises are made in this Psalm? What does it say of our relationship with God and our continued proclamation of faith so that future generations will know God?
- READ: Romans 4:13-25. Faith, rituals and salvation. What does Paul say about this in verses 13-17?
- Although Abraham’s life was marked by mistakes, sin, failures as well as wisdom and goodness, he never doubted God. In your experience, do others know you’re a Christian in the unexpected places of work and recreation?
- Have you ever concealed your faith in Christ, or changed who you are and what you believe to ‘fit in’? What was the reason for this?
- READ: Mark 8:31-28. The Christian life is not a paved road to wealth and ease. Obstacles and hardships often occur. How do you still follow Christ in those moments and how have these challenging experiences strengthened your faith?
- Carrying our cross and losing our life for the sake of spreading the Good News of Christ seem daunting, even scary. Do you find it hard to surrender everything about yourself to the authority of Christ? How is your life and example of faith in action, especially where (places) others don’t expect this?
NOTE: Prayers for SA & the World are posted on the website. Please encourage your group to pray together about these issues and during their personal devotional time in the week.