(Seven Questions HMC study for the week of 2nd – 8th April 2018)
ICE BREAKER: Read Psalm 47. Reflect on the Psalm for a moment – what speaks to you?
FOCUS SCRIPTURE PASSAGE/S: Genesis 1:26-28; John 15:1-8
- READ: Genesis 1:26-28. The work of creation is not finished. God rested from God’s work and he has handed over the ongoing work of creation to us. What do you think this could mean in our daily lives?
- Do you agree with the statement, “We have a purpose to make the earth like heaven?” Give your reasons for why or why not?
- READ: John 15:1-8. When you think of creativity post Easter in what ways can you know yourself and how can we rejoice in ourselves?
- The grapevine is a prolific plant; a single vine supports numerous branches and bears much fruit. In the OT grapes symbolise Israel’s fruitfulness in doing God’s work on earth. How much are you willing to risk to embrace God’s work creatively (perhaps differently from the ways you’ve done so in the past) in this season of Easter?
- What are you willing to/need to let go of (remove the dead branches) so that you can embrace a creative and different ways of living and sharing God’s love with others? Perhaps it even includes calling others to take part in God’s ministry at HMC?
- Fruit – could also be answered prayer, experiencing joy and love in our lives. This means staying attached to the vine – how are you receiving nourishment and life offered to us by Christ so that you can share your special gift or experience with others?
- In what ways are you learning to listen to God to be fruitful and to co-operate with God using the gifts and personalities that he has given to us?
NOTE: Prayers for SA & the World are posted on the website. Please encourage your group to pray together about these issues and during their personal devotional time in the week.