(Seven Questions HMC study for the week of 30 April – 6th May 2018)
ICE BREAKER: What do you think it means to be servants of love for the life of the world?
FOCUS SCRIPTURE PASSAGE/S: Acts 10:44-48, John 15:9-17
- READ: Acts 10:44-48. In the preceding verses (34-43) Peter is preaching and through whom God was making it clear that the Good News of Christ is for everyone. Cornelius and Peter are two very different people – take note of these differences.
- Are you ever surprised or perhaps even miffed or sceptical that Holy Spirit appears to be working through someone to the point that you question the authenticity thereof? What does it take to adjust your thoughts and heart attitude on the matter?
- What do you think about the invitation of Cornelius for Peter to stay with him? How can we embrace and encourage new believers in Christ?
- READ John 15:9-17. A familiar passage that expresses God’s love for us. What joy can be found in living in close communion with Christ each day?
- Christ loves completely and sacrificially. In what ways can we express love for each other (verses 12-13) so that the other experiences the love of God for them through us?
- What do you think is the significance of verse 15 in our journey and witness of faith, hope and love?
- Read verses 16-17 again. These verses speak of choice and a command. What choice/s do you need to make in order to live out the command of Christ, which is to “love one another”? Who is the ‘one another’ in your life – can you love them?
For further Reflection:
Offering of self to God
May the words of our mouths and the thoughts that guide our actions be in accord with your continuous and costly commitment to justice, peace, and health in the world you love so much. In the name of your beloved Son, Jesus Christ, the bread of heaven who gives life to the world. Amen
A Guide to Prayer for those who walk with God, Pg. 194.
NOTE: Prayers for SA & the World are posted on the website. Please encourage your group to pray together about these issues and during their personal devotional time in the week.