(Seven Questions HMC study for the week of 14th – 20th May 2018)
ICE BREAKER: Share an overwhelming experience – what impact did it make on you or those with you?
FOCUS SCRIPTURE PASSAGE/S: READ Ezekiel 37:1-14 and Acts 2:1-21
- Think of a time when you were buffeted by the wind. Think of the power behind that wind – one can only marvel at this power. Think about the initial appearance of the Holy Spirit that manifested its tremendous power in the movement of the wind and tongues of flames. Think of the dry bones that became covered with flesh and that put breath in Ezekiel. In the same vein as the ice-breaker is there anything you’d like to add now that you’ve reflected a little more? Share this with the group.
- Another thing you may have noticed in the Acts reading is that the Holy Spirit touched everyone in that Upper Room – people from all over the known world, from different faith beliefs, cultures and languages. How do you feel about the work of the Holy Spirit today – on the belief that the Holy Spirit is at work amongst all peoples, how can you be part of the transforming work of the Holy Spirit on a daily basis?
- What else do you notice about the work of the Holy Spirit amongst the people on that day of Pentecost, and in the prophecy in Ezekiel?
- There is a strong call to salvation, and reaching out to the marginalised, in both texts. Have you experienced the power of the Holy Spirit at work in you (or perhaps someone else) to share the message of salvation with others, perhaps especially with those whom you would have least expected it? Share this experience with the group.
- So we’ve been looking to the work of the Holy Spirit through you to others… but what about you – how have you experienced the Holy Spirit’s presence and power in worship, in Holy Communion or witnessing a Baptism, or during a prayer or study time or some area of service. What impact did these personal experiences make in your belief in God and in your faith?
- Have you experienced moments of courage, or power to deal with a challenge or grief and to be faithful in following Christ?
- How has the Holy Spirit revealed more of Christ to you – his love for you, and to be more open in your heart and mind to learn more about Christ and being a Christ-follower?
NOTE: Prayers for SA & the World are posted on the website. Please encourage your group to pray together about these issues and during their personal devotional time in the week.