(Seven Questions HMC study for the week of 4th – 10h June 2018)
ICE BREAKER: What robs you of peace?
FOCUS SCRIPTURE PASSAGE/S: READ 1 Kings 3:16-28, Matthew 10:5-16
1. READ: 1 Kings 3:16-28. Traditionally one would think this passage is about learning to exercise great wisdom. How does exercising wisdom bring about peace?
2. In what ways have/haven’t you been able to resolve conflict or disputes in your homes, places of work or even in the church? How have you made peace with the
outcome of this situation?
3. What’s the answer – violence or threat of violence? Does exercising violence bring about true peace?
4. READ: Matthew 10:5-16
The Jews were waiting for the Messiah to usher in the Kingdom of God. Jesus sends the disciples on a mission, with specific instructions. One of these is to give as
freely as you have received. How does generosity bring about peace?
5. We’re all eagerly awaiting this Kingdom – in Christ it has been realised, because Christ has already begun the Kingdom on earth in our hearts. What can we do to
play our part to realise this more fully, so that evil is resisted, and all people are able to live in peace with one another?
6. Shake the dust off your sandals seems like a strange instruction in a dusty land. What is the spiritual truth that Jesus is trying to convey here? Are you receptive to
new and different teachings?
7. When you’re facing hostility, how do you respond? Who do you run to for protection? How do you continue to do God’s work in the face of hostility?