(Seven Questions HMC study for the week of 2nd – 8th July 2018)
ICE BREAKER: Do you know the meaning of your name and surname? Share with your group.
If not, make it your mission this week to find out.
FOCUS SCRIPTURE PASSAGE/S: READ Exodus 3:1-14
1. What do you think of the thought that God wants to be recognised, doesn’t hide or avoid us – God wants to be known? Think about Adam and Eve, Abraham, Moses and the prophets – how do they help us to understand this question/statement?
2. God has called Moses to a dangerous mission – go to the one who holds the power and who knows that the Israelite slaves contribute to the prosperity of Egypt and ask him to let them go. In view of this, why do you think it was important to Moses that he knew the name and meaning of God’s name?
3. What do you think is significant about God’s name “I AM” and what message is God giving to Moses by telling him this name for Godself?
4. In verse 4 God says to Moses, “Here I am.” (in some translations – I will be there). How does this statement encourage you today, especially when going through some tough times? Is God enough for you in those times? Why or why not?
5. In John’s Gospel we find the “I AM” statements of Jesus (Found in Chapters 6-15). By using these words Jesus identifies with the God of Moses. The God called “I AM” can be fully known in Jesus. Thinking of today, symbols like bread, light, shepherding, grapevines, and so on, can initially be strange things to associate with Jesus. But think about it carefully – how are they relevant to you today, in your current spiritual journey?
6. There is the thought that “We are not just made by God, we are made out of God.” So, for example we are made out of God’s goodness, power, strength, and love. How can getting to know who God is, help us to know more who we are?
7. How would you finish the sentence, “I am…” about yourself? Are you tempted to think about less desirable traits? What about the attributes you believe describe God – would you use these for yourself? Why or why not?